I was stretching my knee and did something Very Bad Indeed. Not Horrendously Bad, but not good. It’s my ACL knee, and it’s still healing and sensitive. So when I next went to the physical therapist, I mentioned the pain.
My current PT is in India for a month lecturing, and so I had his colleague, a young, perky woman. She speaks German, French and decent English. She took a look at my knee, told me it was swollen, and then brought over an exciting looking wooden box filled with metal, electrical wires and rubber gloves. Sweet things were going to happen.
She had me lie on the table and handed me a metal rod, which I took to be some grounding device. She then connected a wire to her foot, put on the rubber gloves and started massaging my knee. A pleasant vibration emitted from her hands. She explained that the electricity went from the large battery in the box to the gloves. She also told me that we couldn’t touch, as this would give her a shock.
“Has it ever happened?”
“Once.” She kicked her leg back and bounced her body into the air with a smile.
Ahh, I said. I put my head onto the table and relaxed into the massage.
I got so relaxed that I sat up and without thinking brought my hand to my knee to show her the area that was in the most pain. Well, my hand must have grazed her exposed arm. Her entire body launched backward and her left leg kicked back in a violent reverse Rockettes motion. No smile on her face this time.
I quickly realized I had electrocuted my substitute physical therapist.
I apologized profusely and after she stopped jiggling, she told me “no problem.” I wonder, though, if I will ever again see that magic box of metal cylinders, wire, and rubber.